Web Development - Service Summary
The Web Design and Development service aims to enhance the UoA presence on the World Wide Web.
The service is available to all staff with a valid staff ID card (including temporary and honorary staff members) and to external clients.
Web Design and Development
Services (College or Administration approved work)
- IT Services designs and maintains the UoA central web pages, including academic departments or support sections.
- IT Services provides free consultation, design and development services to UoA departments and sections for college approved work.
- Updates and additions to the University's Central web pages, academic departments or support sections where a CMS (Content Management System) is unavailable
- General support for any web page related issues
New Sites and Application Development
All new work being must have College or Administration approval before being implemented.
- CASS - Mrs Josephine George - email@example.com
- CoPS - Mr Frazer Ramsay - firstname.lastname@example.org
- CLSM - Dr Emily Swaine - email@example.com
- Contact the Web Team directly - firstname.lastname@example.org
We provide training for our OpenText Enterprise level CMS, details can be found on our CMS Training website.
Please Note: Only apply for the CMS training course if your site is currently being developed in the new corporate template and is being migrated into OpenText, if unsure please contact the college or administration representitives noted above.
Writing for the Web
Writing For The Web is a course delivered by the IT Services, Training and Documentation (TaD) team. Please check the Events page of the CMS Training site for future training dates and times.
Publishing Corporate Content
A corporate web account will have a URL with the format www.abdn.ac.uk/something/. Such accounts may only be used for work approved by the Colleges or Administration, where the development has been carried out by the Web Team or an approved third-party supplier.
Please note: we will not put third-party software such as WordPress on the corporate server.
Corporate URL Examples
Approved URLs will take the format of
- www.abdn.ac.uk/something/ top-level URLs will only be given out after discussion with the Web Team and are reserved for corporate-styled websites
- www.abdn.ac.uk/events/an-event/ approved event
- www.abdn.ac.uk/research/a-project/ approved research project, group or area
In all cases, the URL will be assigned only after discussion with the Web Team.
File Space Quota
Please note: the storage space for each web account is limited to 4GB in size. Should you require more space, please speak to the Web Team directly.
Publishing Personal Content, Homepages
A "homepages" web account can be created in two ways.
1) Your personal H: drive
If you create a directory in your local H: drive called public_html and follow the approved publishing procedure, this will create a personal web space at the URL
where "something" can be the name of any directory within public_html and "mail.name" is the first part of your primary University email address such as joe.blogs
Homepages URL Examples
homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mail.name/pages/myproject/ - the myproject directory of your H: drive, assuming it exists and has been published
homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mail.name/pages/ - the root of your public_html directory of your H: drive
- homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mail.name/ - redirects to your corporate staff page, e.g. http://www.abdn.ac.uk/staffpages/mail.name
Please note: once you put a public_html directory into your H: drive your information becomes available on the web and can be crawled by search engines such as Google. It is therefore important that you DO NOT put sensitive or personal data inside any public_html directories. Please refer to the University’s policies on Data Protection.
2) An additional web account
By completing an RF8 form you may apply for an additional web account with an associated email address. The email address is important, as it will form the basis of the website's URL as well as being a contact address for the website.
For example, if you want a URL along the lines of
you must request the email address email@example.com.
Additional Web Account URL Example
- homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mywebspace/ - the root of the additional web account
Please note: only staff may apply for additional web accounts. Research postgraduates must obtain written authorisation from the member of staff who will take responsibility for the account and its content.
External Domain Names
Please consult the Web Team before purchasing an external domain name, as this will need both College and Web Team approval.
Codes of practice/policies
All information published on the University of Aberdeen website is subject to the following code of practice and policies:
- Code of Practice for Electronic Publishing (PDF)
- Accessibility Policy for the University of Aberdeen website
- Policy on the use of University web pages for commercial advertising (PDF)
Standard service requests are accessible via the Web Team and are available during core business hours (09:00 - 17:00, Monday - Friday).
The Web Team can be contacted in the following ways:
Telephone: +44 (0)1224 27 3262