Code of conduct for the use of computer classrooms
When a computer classroom is not booked, the computers in the room are available for ad hoc use by registered users of University of Aberdeen computing facilities.
The following will apply when a computer classroom has been booked.
- While full-class teaching is taking place (e.g. a lecture or demonstration), it is permissible to exclude other students from the room, and to require that students do not use the classroom printer(s). You should indicate that access is not permitted to non class members by posting a notice on the door(s) to the room.
- This notice should say Class (or exam) in progress. Do not enter. and must contain details of the date and time period to which it applies. Please remember to remove the notice at the end of the time period. For your convenience, we have provided notice templates; you can download these from the DIT website in either PDF or Word format:
Class in progress [PDF] | Class in progress [Word] | Exam in progress [PDF] | Exam in progress [Word]
- If full-class teaching is not taking place, then, once you have ensured that all members of the class have the use of a computer, other students may be permitted to use any spare computers.
- If you have to ask students to leave the room to make way for a class, you should do so politely and allow enough time for the students to save any work in progress.
- Before entering a computer classroom you should check whether a Do not enter notice has been posted on the door(s) to the room. If there is such a notice and it is within the time period stated on the notice, do not enter the room.
- If there is no such notice or if the notice has expired, you may enter the room to use a computer or printer but, before entering, you should check the online displays to see whether or not the room is booked or a booking is imminent.
- If this is near the start of a booked class, be prepared to be asked to wait until all the class members have found a computer before taking your place at a computer.
- At all times, you must take care not to disturb the other users of the classroom. In particular, you must switch off your mobile phone and, if you are sharing the room with a booked class, you should work quietly, avoiding conversation.
- If you are working in a classroom prior to the start of a booking, you may have to make way for the booked class. If asked to leave the room, you should do so promptly and politely.
For All Classroom Users
- All use of the classroom facilities is subject to the University's Conditions for using IT facilities
- Please ensure that you have read and understood these conditions.
- Eating and drinking in classrooms is forbidden.
- Equipment should not be unplugged. In particular, unplugging a network connection to plug your personal PC into the network is strictly forbidden.
Approved by the University Committee for Teaching & Learning (UCTL), 28 May 2004
Reviewed: January 2012