Socialising and Meeting People
Aberdeen University Students' Association
When you join the University of Aberdeen you join a community of students from all over the United Kingdom and all over the world. The University of Aberdeen Students' Association (of which all registered students automatically become members) is a student-run organization that works to bring students together socially and helps them take full benefit of the cultural and social events on campus. There is a variety of student societies and sports clubs where you can meet people with similar interests. Visit the Association's home page at: http://www.ausa.org.uk.
International Student Society
The society organizes a programme of social events throughout the year to give international students the opportunity to experience Scottish life and tradition. The programme includes trips around Scotland, ceilidhs (traditional Scottish dances), parties and cinema nights. Find out more at: www.intersoc.co.uk or email email@example.com (term-time only.)
Friends International is a non-University, Christian organisation which aims to link international students up to a host family, who will invite their student out for a meal or on a daytrip a few times a year, and do their best to make them feel welcome in Aberdeen. For more information on the local branch of Friends International, visit
With a student population of over 40,000, Aberdeen caters to all tastes in the arts, culture, leisure and entertainment. From the many cultural events on campus to Her Majesty's Theatre, small club venues with local talent, old world pubs, dance floors, art galleries and cineplexes, there is always an opportunity to take a break from the books and enjoy the local culture. A vibrant music scene includes regular major tours by the biggest names around and an eclectic mix of venues promotes home-grown talent. Information is just a click away.
You don't have to leave campus to find interesting things to do.
- See what your Students' Association is up to: http://www.ausa.org.uk/whatson
- For a daily update on lectures, music and other events in the university visit http://www.abdn.ac.uk/diss/news/service/motd/
In the city
The University New Student Page gives a list of the main cinema, theatre, music, sport and recreation venues.
- If you are looking for an escape from your studies then you could look at http://www.abdn.ac.uk/newstudents/aberdeen2/
- For Week-by-week list of events which are happening in Aberdeen go to http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/xev_event.asp
- For more information on 'night life' which is available in Aberdeen go to http://www.abdn.ac.uk/sras/student_life/entertainment.shtml
- For performing arts, such as ballet, opera, and theatre, you might want to check with His Majesty's Theatre, the Lemon Tree and the Music Hall: www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/events/index.asp
Outside the city
If you are ready to venture outside the city there is much to see and do in Aberdeenshire and throughout Scotland.
- Places to visit in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire http://www.aberdeen-grampian.com/
- National Trust for Scotland: http://www.nts.org.uk/Home/
- Historic Scotland: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/
- Other places to visit throughout Scotland: http://www.visitscotland.com
University of Aberdeen
Telephone: +44 (0)1224-272080
Fax: +44 (0)1224-272082