PhD Supervision in Accountancy
The Department of Accountancy and Finance has a strong track record of PhD supervison. In the Research Assessment Exercise results of 2008, 80% of research in Business and Management (including Accountancy and Finance) was judged to be of international quality. The Department's Postgraduate Research Convenor is Professor Clare Roberts. We offer supervision in the following areas:
- Dr Chandana Alawattage - critical perspectives on management accounting, governance, control and social and environmental accounting practices, especially comparative studies between western and non-western counterparts
- Professor Roger Buckland - financial management and markets, utilities and financial services regulation, corporate and not-for-profit governance, analysis of risk in regulated markets
- Professor David Heald - public sector accounting, including financial reporting and audit; public expenditure planning and control; and economic regulation of business
- Ms Anne McGeachin - financial accounting and reporting: in particular pension accounting and segment reporting. Accounting regulation and standard setting: in particular the work of the IASB and FASB
- Professor Clare Roberts - international harmonisation of financial reporting practises; segment reporting; comparative financial accounting.
- Dr Mark Whittington - strategic management accounting, accounting education, international accounting, reporting and financial statement analysis
The doctoral programme is a recognised programme of the ESRC in the UK.
More details from postgraduate prospectus
The University of Aberdeen is a member institution of the ESRC Scottish Graduate School of Social Science Doctoral Training Centre (DTC). 1+3 and +3 doctoral studentships are available in Economics, Business and Management, Accountancy and Finance and Real Estate under the Scottish ESRC DTC: Research Council Awards - ESRC. Other sources of funding may also be available: Graduate School Funding Database.