MSc Real Estate
The MSc Real Estate considers the creation and management of value in property from the perspectives of economics, finance, investment and business. It sets property markets in the wider context of the local, national and international economies as well as national and international capital markets.
The degree aims to:
- Develop interest in, and knowledge of, economics, investment, finance and management as analytical frameworks for understanding the operations and functions of property markets and institutions.
- Offer a particular strength and focus on commercial property valuation and investment.
- Equip graduates with the knowledge and skills necessary to address the current and future challenges associated with professional practice in the field of real estate.
- Prepare graduates for entry into the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
The MSc Real Estate is accredited by the RICS, allowing graduates to proceed to the RICS Assessment of Professional Competence and full professional membership of the RICS. The degree has been running for over 20 years and employment prospects are good with many past graduates holding senior positions within the profession.
The Real Estate programme at Aberdeen is internationally recognised as world class. The teaching staff have a wide range of practical experience as well as being distinguished researchers so the programme combines academic rigour with practical relevance. The Real Estate Department is based within the University of Aberdeen Business School and benefits from strong external links with the real estate profession.
The MSc Real Estate degree is a 12 month full time ’conversion’ programme which takes students with a wide range of first degrees and prepares them for a career in the real estate profession. It is a well established vocational degree with a strong reputation among employers.
The programme has several key strengths:
- Combines academic rigour with practical relevance
- Offers a particular focus and strength on commercial property valuation and investment
- Average cohort size of 25 to 35 students ensures an interactive, friendly learning environment
- International Real Estate module includes a week long European field trip
- Teaching staff are active researchers ensuring that the content is at the forefront of current thinking
- The Real Estate Department is internationally recognised as world class
- Degree is fully accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors allowing graduates to proceed to the RICS Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) following appropriate work experience
- Degree has been running for over 20 years and has established a strong reputation among employers with many past graduates employed in senior positions in the profession.
- Employers like the combination of first degree coupled with a postgraduate Masters degree in the specialist area
- The Real Estate Department has strong links with the profession with practitioners regularly involved in workshops and field trips
Programme is based in the Business School and benefits from strong links with the economics, finance and management departments
The details below are intended to give students a guide to the courses they would be studying on the MSc Real Estate programme. To read what each course is about, click on the course code. The credits shown are Aberdeen credits (30 Aberdeen credits = 15 ECTS). Courses tagged C are compulsory. The Programme Director is Professor Norman Hutchison.
First Stage Courses
- BU5030 Real Estate Research (SCO) C (15)
- BU5032 Property Law and Institutions (NH) C (15)
- BU5035 Valuation and Finance (NH) C (15)
- BU5036 Real Estate Economics (DR) C (15)
Second Stage Courses
- BU5524 International Real Estate (SCO) C (15)
- BU5525 Advanced Valuation and Development (NH) C (15)
- BU5544 Real Estate Finance (RS) C (15) (may be recoded)
- one further 15 credit course chosen from an approved list C (15)
Third Stage Courses
- EITHER BU5904 Property Dissertation (NH) C (60)
- OR two summer school electives and a critical studies paper
- BU5914 Critical Studies Paper (JR) C (30)
- BU5956 Real Estate Asset Management (SPD) C (15)
- BU5819 Real Estate Market Modelling C (15) (may be recoded)