BA (Michigan), MA, PhD (Bryn Mawr)
BA, Anthropology (Hons), Michigan State University, 1981. MA, Anthropology, Bryn Mawr College, 1985. Thesis title: Nunakhaknak; Koniag Society on the Russian Frontier. PhD, Anthropology, Bryn Mawr College, 1995. Dissertation title: The Late Prehistory of the Alutiiq People; Culture Change on the Kodiak Archipelago From 1200-1750 A.D. Founding Director of Alutiiq Culture Center in Kodiak, Alaska, 1991. Founding Director of Alutiiq Museum and Archaeological Repository, Kodiak Alaska, 1995. Founding Director of Museum of the Aleutians, Unalaska, Alaska, 1999. Ethnographer and Director of Oral History Program, Bureau of Arts and Culture, Republic of Palau, Micronesia, 2004-2005. Academic Program Head and Assistant Professor, Department of Alaska Native and Rural Development, University of Alaska Fairbanks, 2005-2008.
Regional Research Interests
Nunivak Island and Bering Sea
Kodiak Archipelago and Gulf of Alaska
Palau and Micronesia
Indigneous approaches to archaeology
Community-based archaeological research and cultural preservation
Prehistoric adaptations to climate change
Inuit/Eskimo origins and early prehistory
Ethnohistory and historic contact
Museum research and public outreach
Contributions to Journals
- Britton, KH., Knecht, R., Nehlich, O., Hillerdal, C., Davis, RS. & Richards, MP. (in press). 'Maritime adaptations and dietary variation in prehistoric Western Alaska: Stable isotope analysis of permafrost-preserved human hair'. American Journal of Physical Anthropology.
[Online] DOI: 10.1002/ajpa.22284
- Price, N. & Knecht, R. (2012). 'Peleliu 1944: the archaeology of a South Pacific D-Day'. Journal of Conflict Archaeology, vol 7, no. 1, pp. 5-48.
[Online] DOI: 10.1179/157407812X13245464933786
- Knecht, R. & Davis, RS. (2010). 'Continuity and Change in the Eastern Aleutian archaeological sequence'. Human Biology, vol 82, no. 5-6, 3, pp. 507-524.
- Knecht, R. (2009). 'Hair methylmercury levels of Aleutian Islands mummies, Alaska'. Environmental Research, vol 109, no. 3, pp. 281-286.
[Online] DOI: 10.1016/j.envres.2008.11.004
- Knecht, R. & Davis, R. (2008). 'The Amaknak Bridge Site: Cultural Change and the Neoglacial in the Eastern Aleutians'. Arctic Anthropology, vol 45, no. 1, pp. 61-78.
[Online] DOI: 10.3368/aa.45.1.61
Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings
- Knecht, R. (in press). 'First Maritime Cultures of the Aleutians'. in O Mason & M Friesen (eds), Handbook of Arctic Archaeology. Oxford University Press.
Books and Reports
- Knecht, R., Price, N. & Lindsay, GJ. 'WWII Battlefield Report of Peleliu Island, Peleliu State, Republic of Palau'. Unknown Publisher.