Advice for Parents
Top 10 Tips
- Attend the Parents Welcome Talks over the moving in Weekend.
Saturday 15th September 2012 – 5pm Senior Common Room
Sunday 16th September 2012 – 5pm Senior Common Room
Saturday 15th September 2012 – 4pm Crombie Library
Sunday 16th September 2012 – 4pm Crombie Library
- Take only one car to Move in Weekend – the roads will be extremely busy – check out the Move in weekend section of this website for more information
- If your son/daughter has a TV or watches TV online, make sure they have a TV licence
- Make sure they can cook at least one meal – even if it is beans on toast!
- Make sure that they know how to wash their clothes -skills like separating colours, understanding washing instructions and awareness of laundrette etiquette will also make their first term that little bit easier.
- Show them some basic budgeting skills
- Arrange specific dates and times for you to chat to them on a regular basis - emotional back-up and support of family members can greatly assist the transition from home to university life.
- Look over the Accommodation website and make sure you are aware of restricted items as well as what they need to bring – like bedding
- Make sure your son/daughter has accepted the offer of accommodation – this involves e-signing the terms and conditions and the schedule via eAccommodation. Make sure that they have also paid the £100 reservation fee and that they have completed the e-induction.
- Encourage your son/daughter to attend the SRA talks where they will meet their team of Resident Assistants who can help them with questions, queries and any welfare concern they may have over the year.